Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Marsi's Law

also known as "The Celebrity Black Hole That Surrounds Me".

I live in Vancouver. A gorgeous city on Canada's West Coast. An urban paradise if you will. A city that draws TV & movie productions like a salt lick attracts a cow (obviously there is a proper saying that expresses this sentiment but I can't think of it right now).

Today is a gorgeous day. Blue sky, sunshine, birds chirping. I was walking down the street in my trendy neighbourhood towards the market when I saw a very typical sight in Vancouver -- the movie/TV/commercial production sign. Not a day goes by that you don't come across some sort of filming but Marsi's Law says this -- if you are with me you will NOT see any celebrities. I seriously feel like I am the only person in Vancouver who does not have their own personal celebrity story. Pierce Brosnan (see below), Colin Firth, Jennifer Garner, Sharon Stone, Mel Gibson, Matthew McYouKnowWhoIMean, Colin Farrell, Ben Affleck, my numero uno crush Hugh Jackman etc. I thought today might be different -- there was something in the air that made me think that today might be the day. The day that I would have my own celebrity sighting.

On the return trip from the market I am waiting for the light to change, watching the San Francisco police car get towed down the street when a crazy old lady waddles up to me to comment on the beautiful day. Now as Canadians were are very polite but we generally don't start chit chatting w/ perfect strangers on the street. But politeness demands a response so I concur that it is a gorgeous day and then promptly avoid eye contact. She then proceeds to tell me about her "spasms" and why she can't work. At this point the light has turned and I am trying to casually GET AWAY! As I'm pulling away from her she starts talking louder and louder. Again b/c I am so polite I keep responding. I am now almost at the other corner when I catch a glimpse of a very goodlooking, famous looking guy wearing cool sunglasses and a leather coat (too hot for this weather) smiling at me. Was this my celebrity moment? I don't know b/c instead of returning his smile I was hauling ass away from the crazy. As I analyzed the situation while running home I realized that he wasn't a celebrity and he wasn't smiling at me he was laughing.

So according to Marsi's Law, not only will I not see the celebrity but the celebrity will be replaced by a crazy person.

Remington Steele Sighted
This illustrates my point about everyone else having a celebrity moment. Cindy and several of her girlfriends were out last weekend at the Sutton Place hotel celebrating her 30th birthday. HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY CINDY! Esther was returning from the ladies' room when she ran into Mr. Remington Steele (aka Mr James Bond) himself Pierce Brosnan. They had a chat, he called her "beautiful" and this was the picture that was taken.


*sigh* I am so jealous!

*double sigh* Why can't I make the above font normal?! Why does the computer hate me so much?????

2 Comments:

Blogger Keri said...

Marsi's law is acutally a rather long series that includes the celebrity black hole and the blog black hole to name only a two.

You are hilarious, and let's just say he was laughing WITH you.

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pierce Brosnan, yuck.
Esther, YUM!

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home